- 4 green bell peppers, tops and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon blackpepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook the peppers in boiling water until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove peppers from boiling water and rinse with cold water; set peppers aside to drain.
- Mix together ground beef, cooked white rice, lightly beaten egg, finely chopped onion, Italian-style bread crumbs, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese in a large bowl until evenly mixed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Divide beef and rice mixture among peppers; stuff each pepper with beef and rice mixture.
- Place peppers open side up in a 9x13-inch baking dish or shallow roasting pan.
- Combine tomato sauce and white vinegar in a bowl.
- Pour tomato mixture over stuffed peppers.
- Top with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, basting the peppers two or three times while baking, about 80 minutes.
To cut down on time I use Uncle Ben's ready rice that's done in the microwave in 90 seconds. This freezes well and goes great with mashed potatoes or potato salad.